Sunday, September 25, 2011

Possible Mental Breakdown




Yesterday morning while I was brushing my teeth I suddenly started thinking about the card game Old Maid.  Just out of the blue.  I hadn't thought of that game in at least 25 years.  I wish it had stayed that way because now I'm questioning my sanity.

I thought about how this poor caricature is based on women who were shunned and unwanted in real life.  To have their misery and shame mass produced as hilarious children's entertainment surely had the effect of compounding the old maids' humiliation.

This random stream of thought then struck me as possibly the most random stream of thought I'd ever had.  I got the giggles thinking about the randomness.  This led to all out mouth-wide-open cackling at the thought of these cards lamenting their position in life as the pariahs of their card communities as well as at the fact that I was actually having these thoughts.

It was a strange sight with me laughing uncontrollably with toothpaste foam dribbling out of my mouth...

Poor lady with her sad little Admit One ticket...and the hats, my God the hats!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness i remember that game

it was the only card game i could play

memories

no no no.....stop stop

i'm hearing that song

memories like the way it use to be

stop stop

(banging head against wall)

frank

Ray Avito said...

The version that came to my mind was the Bundy's and Darcy's singing it on Married w/Children...

How come all the Old Maids look like they are one step away from committing some heinous act of villainy?

Anonymous said...

i miss those old games

frank